Cumbuco is a little fisher village of approximately 1500 inhabitants with a typical Brazilian lifestyle. It is a village where people are busy being happy and take life the way it comes. You will see lots of kids playing around, moms washing clothes, elderly having a beer, or maybe a buggy passing by with tourists inside screaming of the fun they had riding through the dunes. We don´ t have to mention the surfers and kiters walking home after their afternoon session. When the sun sets in the dunes it leaves the village behind in a yellow astonishing glow. On weekends and holidays people from Fortaleza city come down to Cumbuco to enjoy the beach or dunes, giving the town an authentic Brazilian flavour. The village has everything what you might desire or need. There are supermarkets, restaurants, bars, pharmacies, Atm machines, … Don’t miss the beach restaurants or so called ´´barracas´´ where they serve the best fresh seafood. Between your kite sessions you can charge batteries. Durobeach restaurant has the perfect healthy and fast served food. try out our international or brazilian style cuisine or have a tropical fruit juice or power milkshakes to get you riding again like new. Have a caipirinha and chat with your fellow kitesurfers or with the friendly locals. At night have a cold beer at one of the bars or restaurants. And if you still have energy left, just half an hour drive and you are in Fortaleza, the city with a crazy nightlife!
* How to get to Cumbuco /flights till Fortaleza:
-TAP Portugal: www.voetap.com The Portuguese airline is a very good option. Flying from all Europe, via Lisbon, and from there straight to Fortaleza in about 8 hours.
-Arkefly: Very cheap offers depending on time of stay. Leaving from Amsterdam.
-Lauda Air: Leaving from Milan or Zurich.
-Air Condor: www.condor.de Cheap flights out of different locations in Germany
-Air Italy: Direct flight from Milan or Rome to Fortaleza. www.airitaly.it
-Livingstone airlines www.lauda.it flies starting may 09 direct flights from Milan and Rome to Fortaleza. Kitersurfers and windsurfers do NOT have to pay extra for equipment!!!
-Cabo verde Airlines: from amsterdam, munich via the cape verdian islands straight till Fortaleza.
From South America (From Argentina and Chile):
- a good option is to fly from Buenos Aires or Santiago over Sao paolo till Fortaleza with GOL airlines www.voegol.com.br
- TAM Airlines www.tam.com.br
From the US:
-Tam airlines flies out of Miami.
-Delta airlines flies direct from Atlanta to Fortaleza.
How to get from the airport till Durobeach:
Book your transfer on our reservation form and get till Cumbuco in a fast and safe manner. Our english speaking staff will assist you in any way possible.
Price one way per transfer (uptill 4 persons) is 100R$/40€ and takes about 45minutes.
Cumbuco is about 30minutes away from Fortaleza (with around 2 million people)which is the capital of the state Ceara. Fortaleza is a big city with a lot of traffic, skyscrapers, shopping malls, hospitals, restaurants, bars etc. The most touristic areas of the city are Iracema and Beira-mar, just in front of the beach. There are shops, restaurants, hotels of all classes, cyber-cafes, money exchange offices...
Since Cumbuco is geographically situated just 3,5 degrees beneath the equator, it’s always warm there (25-30 C). The sun is strong but it’s never too hot thanks to the refreshing winds that made this place a paradise for kitesurfing and windsurfing. From June onwards till December it is every day and all day long windy in and around Cumbuco (5Bft on average). The south-east side-on shore steady winds makes it the perfect spot to play with your 9 or sometimes 12 m2 kite. August, September and October are the windiest months. From November and December onwards the wind is less strong but still blows everyday (most used kite-sizes between 10 and 14m2). In the months from January - May you might have some rain showers, but you can still kite during most days…
From Cumbuco towards the north the wind gets stronger, towards the south a bit weaker. check www.cumbucowind.com, windguru or windfinder for wind statistics or forecast. For live windspeed, wind direction and cumbuco beach webcam click here.
There are numerous awesome kitesurfspots in and around Cumbuco. Most people just kite in front of the place where they are staying because the beach is wide and the water is relatively flat.
5 Good reasons to kitesurf in front of Durobeach hotel-kitecenter Cumbuco:
1)The beach is very wide. Even when high tide comes in you have al the space to launch.
2)No cars are allowed to drive over the beach in front off the village center next to the hotel! So no danger of somebody driving over or through your lines.
3)The water is flatter then anywhere else in Cumbuco, especially when it is low-tide. This is due to an old reef about 300 meters inside the ocean where usually a nice wave breaks.
4)You will always find nice and helpful people to launch or put down your kite.
5)You are just a few steps away to have a refreshing break with a drink and/or a shower in the hotel.
One kilometer downwind from the village the shore-break gets stronger but is the most fun if you are making a downwind towards the lagoon of Cauipe. This freshwater-lagoon is just 50 meters from the ocean and about 5 km downwind from town. There are some restaurants and you can get there by car but also over the beach by buggy or 4wheel drive. Buggydrivers usually wait in front of the restaurants to drive people back to the village for about 10 real a person. In most part of the lagoon you can stand what makes it the perfect training spot.
Taiba, Taiba-lagoon, Paracuru, Lagoinha, Flexeiras, Mundau, Prea, Jericoacoara,...
tabuba lagoon, Fortaleza, Porto das dunas, Barra nova, Uruau, Fortim, Canoa quebrada ,... the wind is weaker towards the south. From october onwards it is often too weak to kite.
Join us on one of our downwindtrips or kitesafaris and discover the best spots around Fortaleza. Get ready for an ultimate experience going with us in buggy or 4by4, cruising off road along the deserted beaches and charming villages. A perfect combination of sight-seeing, relaxing, kitesurfing and adventure in paradise itself. Come and ride the downwinds you only have dreamed off.
In Durobeach hotel you will find a variety of downwind trips that are organised every week. Paracuru, taiba, and others. Just sign up for your favorite!
Just a few options of adventurous activities possible in Cumbuco village:
- Wind and kitesurfing
- Beach Buggy trips (with driver or rent your own to drive yourself...)
- Sand boarding
- Jet ski/waterski/banana boat (in lagoa do banana)
- Boat-trips (on board of a ´jangada´ or typical sail-fisherboat)
- Horseback riding
- Quad-riding in the dunes
- Capoeira classes (typical brazilian dance-fight choreography), yoga,...
Tours towards different locations mostly mountain trips:
- Serra de Maranguape
- Serra de Guaramiranga
- Serra de Guaiúba
- Depending on the location you can practise:
- Typical market
Cachaca museum in Fortaleza
Practically 95% off the restaurants are located on or around the Cumbuco market square, in a radius of maximum 300meters of Durobeach hotel.
- Pizzerias (3 different)
- Gaucho grill
- Sweet & spicy (international snacks)
- 0031 bread & beans coffeeshop
Jardim do Cumbuco
- Gita seafood
- Natural Cumbuco
- boxing kangaroo
- ACL Lanchonete (roasted chicken & more),
- chega bem Lanchonete
- Sabor da praia
- Camarao (cheap seafood)
- Secret spot
In Fortaleza there are a million options. Try a rodizio de carne (meat all you can eat or a sushi-rodizio (all you can eat)). starting at around 15 euros for too much food and excellent quality. Most good restaurants are located around the area of Aldeota, Varjota and Beira mar.
The laranja-mecanica bar or the bars around there like Bacana is where surfers and locals gather at night to have a few beers or caipirinhas.
There are also a lot of parties and/or barbeques organised during the season. In the weekends the bars put up life bands that attract lots of locals from the neighbour villages.
Everyday is party in Fortaleza.. the tourist area around Iracema is packed every night. The better-class youngsters prefer disco’s and bars like Mucuripe, Orbita rock bar, or beach-party’s on Praia do Futuro or at Aloha-surf club. Entry-fees from 10 to 40 real.
- Climate: Forget jackets or warm jumpers, the temperature is always around 25-30 C. Long trousers and proper shoes are required in certain discos in Fortaleza! Leave your wetsuit at home. The water temperature is around 25 degrees Celsius. If you spent a long time on the water kitesurfing it is easy to get sunburned, so wear a lycra and use sunscreen. Also on the beach use protection minimum factor 20-30 because the sun is often underestimated due to the refreshening breeze. Don’t burn all your energy kiting 8hours the first day because the next day will be windy as well, and the next, and the next...
- Language: The official language is Portuguese. Allthough in Cumbuco many languages go around used by the tourists, kiters and emigrated foreigners: Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish, etc.
- VISA and Traveldocuments: Citizens of most countries have 90 days of stay when entering Brazil, which can be renewed by 90 more days in the Federal police station the state where you are. Make sure you travel with a passport which is valid for minimum another 6 months. Also consult your local embassy of Brazil. Brazilian law says to carry your passport on you at all times. We recommend to take a zerox of all pages of it, and get it registered and certified in your local embassy, so you can carry this in stead of running around with the original passport.
- Vaccinations: You do not need any vaccinations to travel to Cumbuco, there is no malaria or yellow feever or similar in this area of brasil.
- When is good to travel to Cumbuco: All year it is nice and warm in Cumbuco,from July till December it’s windy everyday and all day long. February till June is wet season: there are less windy days, and it can rain, but most off the time it is sunny and warm.
- Fortaleza - Cumbuco: 28 Km, 30-35 minutes!
Cumbuco-Lagoon of Cauipe: 6 km, time, 15-20minutes.
- Banks, Money: Bring your normal bank card, Visa Electron, Maestro, Cirrus... Exchange rate: in June 2011 1 Euro/2.3 real, 1 USD/1,65 real. For today’s course: click here
ATM Machines:There is a ATM machine in the gas station off Cumbuco and the bakery close to Durobeach, but it’s also possible to cash money in the airport of Fortaleza where there are cash machines of several banks. Banco do Brasil, gives you the best rate. The maximum amount you can withdraw is 1000 reals. Depending on your limit of your card it’s possible to get some more (after the withdrawal of 1000 real) going to a different bank. Anyway, if you have two cards bring them both, you don’t want to be without cash. In Banco do Brasil you can withdraw with your credit card up to 5000 real showing your passport (so called saque de emergencia). After 10 pm the maximum amount you can withdraw is 100 real, so it is not a bad idea to take some Euros and have them changed in the airport in case of a late arrival. The exchange office in the airport is open till late.
- Rent a Car: Recommended if you want to explore other spots or want to go often to Fortaleza. Most kite spots have easy access by car. But if your intention is to stay in Cumbuco, you don’t need a car. Rental prices from 25-30 Euros/day, including insurance with 150/200 km per day. In the airport prices are a bit more expensive than in Fortaleza. We can book your car which if you want they drop off at the hotel in Cumbuco.
- Public transport: Buses are cheap. You will find time schedules at the busstop on the marketsquare.
- Rent a Buggy: A buggy is ideal to ride in the dunes or over the beach but not very practical to go to Fortaleza and a bit more expensive than a car, around 90- 100 real/day. Buggy’s are fun but make sure to rent one in good conditions since most of them break quite a lot and leave you somewhere on the beach! We can book you a good one so you have from the first day! You can rent a buggy in Durobeach hotel.
- Driving License: An international permit is required for driving in Brazil.
Telephone: For international calls the best option is to buy phone cards (telemar) which are also used for local calls. You can also put a rechargeable Brazilian SIM card in your mobile phone.
Internet access: In Cumbuco there are several cyber cafes. Also some pousadas and Hotels offer an internet service. Durobeach is a wifi hotspot so bring your laptop if you stay with us.
- Shopping: Central Market (Mercado central): Good place to buy souvenirs and typical handcraft.
Avenida Monsenor Tabosa: Shopping street in Iracema area.
Shopping malls: Shopping Iguatemi, Shopping Aldeota, North Shopping,.. More and more cute shops are opening in the centre of Cumbuco.
- Water: The tap water is good but to make sure buy bottled water.
- Kite Sizes: In Cumbuco 10-12 sq-meter kites are perfect. But bring a 7-8 meters for the hard-core days or for when you want to make a trip up north, and a 14 or even 16 if you come towards end of season (December-January). August - September- October are months with strong wind.
- Kite Rental: There are various places where you can rent kite equipment in Cumbuco. Beginners should not just rent equipment and try it out on their own!! They could put themselves and others in danger!! Sign up in our school for a course instead where the proper equipment is included or can be rented. Durobeach kitesenter offers courses and equipment to rent.
- Kite Spare Parts: In Cumbuco and Fortaleza, you can find most of the basic spare parts for your kite, like depower straps, lines, chicken loops, etc., as well as kites and boards. But always better to bring your own extras, bladder repair kit, etc. In Cumbuco there is kite-repair service.
- Kite Course: We offer courses under the standards of IKO. For more info click here .