- Climate: Forget jackets or warm jumpers, the temperature is always around 25-30 C. Long trousers and proper shoes are required in certain discos in Fortaleza! Leave your wetsuit at home. The water temperature is around 25 degrees Celsius. If you spent a long time on the water kitesurfing it is easy to get sunburned, so wear a lycra and use sunscreen. Also on the beach use protection minimum factor 20-30 because the sun is often underestimated due to the refreshening breeze. Don’t burn all your energy kiting 8hours the first day because the next day will be windy as well, and the next, and the next...
- Language: The official language is Portuguese. Allthough in Cumbuco many languages go around used by the tourists, kiters and emigrated foreigners: Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish, etc.
- VISA and Traveldocuments: Citizens of most countries have 90 days of stay when entering Brazil, which can be renewed by 90 more days in the Federal police station the state where you are. Make sure you travel with a passport which is valid for minimum another 6 months. Also consult your local embassy of Brazil. Brazilian law says to carry your passport on you at all times. We recommend to take a zerox of all pages of it, and get it registered and certified in your local embassy, so you can carry this in stead of running around with the original passport.
- Vaccinations: You do not need any vaccinations to travel to Cumbuco, there is no malaria or yellow feever or similar in this area of brasil.
- When is good to travel to Cumbuco: All year it is nice and warm in Cumbuco,from July till December it’s windy everyday and all day long. February till June is wet season: there are less windy days, and it can rain, but most off the time it is sunny and warm.
- Fortaleza - Cumbuco: 28 Km, 30-35 minutes!
Cumbuco-Lagoon of Cauipe: 6 km, time, 15-20minutes.
- Banks, Money: Bring your normal bank card, Visa Electron, Maestro, Cirrus... Exchange rate: in June 2011 1 Euro/2.3 real, 1 USD/1,65 real. For today’s course: click here
ATM Machines:There is a ATM machine in the gas station off Cumbuco and the bakery close to Durobeach, but it’s also possible to cash money in the airport of Fortaleza where there are cash machines of several banks. Banco do Brasil, gives you the best rate. The maximum amount you can withdraw is 1000 reals. Depending on your limit of your card it’s possible to get some more (after the withdrawal of 1000 real) going to a different bank. Anyway, if you have two cards bring them both, you don’t want to be without cash. In Banco do Brasil you can withdraw with your credit card up to 5000 real showing your passport (so called saque de emergencia). After 10 pm the maximum amount you can withdraw is 100 real, so it is not a bad idea to take some Euros and have them changed in the airport in case of a late arrival. The exchange office in the airport is open till late.
- Rent a Car: Recommended if you want to explore other spots or want to go often to Fortaleza. Most kite spots have easy access by car. But if your intention is to stay in Cumbuco, you don’t need a car. Rental prices from 25-30 Euros/day, including insurance with 150/200 km per day. In the airport prices are a bit more expensive than in Fortaleza. We can book your car which if you want they drop off at the hotel in Cumbuco.
- Public transport: Buses are cheap. You will find time schedules at the busstop on the marketsquare.
- Rent a Buggy: A buggy is ideal to ride in the dunes or over the beach but not very practical to go to Fortaleza and a bit more expensive than a car, around 90- 100 real/day. Buggy’s are fun but make sure to rent one in good conditions since most of them break quite a lot and leave you somewhere on the beach! We can book you a good one so you have from the first day! You can rent a buggy in Durobeach hotel.
- Driving License: An international permit is required for driving in Brazil.
Telephone: For international calls the best option is to buy phone cards (telemar) which are also used for local calls. You can also put a rechargeable Brazilian SIM card in your mobile phone.
Internet access: In Cumbuco there are several cyber cafes. Also some pousadas and Hotels offer an internet service. Durobeach is a wifi hotspot so bring your laptop if you stay with us.
- Shopping: Central Market (Mercado central): Good place to buy souvenirs and typical handcraft.
Avenida Monsenor Tabosa: Shopping street in Iracema area.
Shopping malls: Shopping Iguatemi, Shopping Aldeota, North Shopping,.. More and more cute shops are opening in the centre of Cumbuco.
- Water: The tap water is good but to make sure buy bottled water.
- Kite Sizes: In Cumbuco 10-12 sq-meter kites are perfect. But bring a 7-8 meters for the hard-core days or for when you want to make a trip up north, and a 14 or even 16 if you come towards end of season (December-January). August - September- October are months with strong wind.
- Kite Rental: There are various places where you can rent kite equipment in Cumbuco. Beginners should not just rent equipment and try it out on their own!! They could put themselves and others in danger!! Sign up in our school for a course instead where the proper equipment is included or can be rented. Durobeach kitesenter offers courses and equipment to rent.
- Kite Spare Parts: In Cumbuco and Fortaleza, you can find most of the basic spare parts for your kite, like depower straps, lines, chicken loops, etc., as well as kites and boards. But always better to bring your own extras, bladder repair kit, etc. In Cumbuco there is kite-repair service.
- Kite Course: We offer courses under the standards of IKO. For more info click here .